Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Homeschool Decision



Today we made the decision that next year, for Peanut's 2nd grade year, I am going to homeschool her.  I have prayed about homeschooling for years but it never felt like the right time or things happened which made it not right.  But yet I couldn't stop thinking about it.  We have been blessed that she was able to go to Calvary Chapel Christian this year, tuition free, since I worked there last semester.  But next year we won't have that luxury and Andy and I had to sit down and talk about our goals. We both have dreams. One of the biggest is to buy a home. We need to save. We are renting right now and our lease will be up in April of 2015.  I am hopeful that if we make wise decisions between now and then, that we will be able save up for a home.  Homeschooling will help us accomplish this goal.

As I am researching Homeschooling more I am seeing even more reasons that this is a great way to educate your kids.  The freedom to study subjects that you are interested in and read and explore and grow in such unique ways really excited me!  I would have LOVED to have been taught this way as a kid!

I am nervous. I will be honest.  I feel the responsibility, the weight, of providing my daughter with an excellent education. As a credentialed teacher, you would think I would have more confidence.  Well, other people's kids are often easier to handle than your own. 'Nuff said.

We have an extra room downstairs that we are going to turn into our Home school room!  I am excited about that and I think will help us adjust to this new life change.  I am looking forward to being with her all day every day. We have a really awesome relationship and I love being with her.  She is excited about me teaching her.  She will be an 8 year old so I want to make it fun for her.  I want to let her pick things that she wants to study and dig deep into so it stays fresh and exciting.

I think that Sonlight is the curriculum I am most interested in.  It's all laid out for you already which I think will be good for me for my first year doing this with Haylie.  It's very literature based too which is important to me.

So, for the next 5 months I will be scouring blogs, reading books, cleaning and organizing, buying curriculum, and talking to friends who homeschool to get ready for this new adventure.  It should be fun!!!
I will wear my glasses so I feel smarter :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like you're off to a great start; I can't wait to read about your homeschooling adventures!!

    ReplyDelete